Sunday 3 July 2011

11. John Grisham - The Confession


Sometimes a book is so good it just grips you and you can't put it away. I had it a while back with Larsson's Millennium trilogy and now John Grisham did it to me again with The Confession

In this book, he does not beat around the bush. He takes us straight to the main events. An innocent black man is awaiting execution in Texas for a crime he did not commit. Donte Drumm has been in prison for nine years and the needle is only a week away when the man who did commit the crime, that of killing and raping a high school girl, confesses to a priest in Kansas. The man is a well-known felon in three states and the priest Keith decides to help Travis Boyette jump parole to confess his crimes in Texas to make sure the execution does not take place. The reason Travis wants to confess after nine years is because he is dying of a brain tumour. 

This is the first time I've written such a lengthy summary, but this novel really needs it because it needs to be read. I'm not a stranger to Grisham's books. I've read A Time to Kill and The Client. I've read these a long time ago but I still remember how much I loved them, especially A Time to Kill. For some reason unknown to even me, stopped picking up his books. Maybe it's because I didn't like my studies in Law as much as I thought I would and I stopped reading the author who inspired me to start it. 

In any case, this book is a definite must-read. I can't even describe the sentiments that went through me when reading about the long and impossible task of getting Boyette in Texas on time for the execution. I felt with Keith and I felt for Robbie, Donte's lawyer, who had been trying for years to point out to the jury and the court that evidence in the case against Donte was seriously lacking. Very frustrating. But such an amazing book and Grisham describes all the events with such detail that it just reels you in and for a week you feel like you're in Sloan, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment