Sunday 17 July 2011

13. Ian Rankin - Tooth & Nail


Not only was this an amazing crime novel (I might actually get addicted to these) it also helped me to appreciate Edinburgh and loathe London a bit more. Even though I was considering moving to London for a while, not any more. Ian Rankin paints such a horrible picture of it in Tooth & Nail that it doesn't appeal to me at all after this novel. Job well done!

This novel is about Rebus who moves down to London to help the MET police hunt down and kill The Wolfman. A killer who mainly focuses on women, he or she stabs his victims in the throat and then takes bites in their stomach. Due to his previous succes in Edinburgh the Metroplitan police reckon Rebus would be perfect for the job. He himself is not so sure...

The passage that speaks to me most, is the short paragraph about his books. I fully agree with him and I feel I have met a like-minded soul. 15 more Rebus books to go and I mean to read them all:

So many books. One man could not hope to read them all in a lifetime. He tried to walk through the aisles without focusing. If he focused, he would become interested, and if he became interested he would buy. He already had over fifty books at home, piled beside his bed, waiting for that elusive weeklong break when he could concentrate on something other than police work. He collected books. It was just about his only hobby. Not that he was precious about it. He did not lust after first editions, signed copies and the like. Mostly, he bought paperbacks. And he was nothing if not catholic in his tastes: any subject matter would do. (Rankin 154)

No comments:

Post a Comment