Sunday 5 June 2011

Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest


This week the challenge was even harder than last week. Stieg Larsson's third book in the Millennium series The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is considerably lengthier than it's predecessors. In this case, that wasn't bad at all, because you get the desire to finish it as soon as possible since you want to know how the events that started in The Girl Who Played With Fire come to a conclusion. 

It's hard to say anything about the book because it literally continues the story that ended abruptly at the end of the second book. I can't tell you whether I find it more or less enthralling than the second one, because it's as if Larsson wrote a book that 1300 pages long, only he decided to sell it in two different covers. The only problem is is that the first book in the Millennium series does not really fit in with the other two books. So I don't think of it as a trilogy. It's a pity Larsson is not among us to continue the series of Herr Blomkvist and Fru Salander because even though things come to a good conclusion in the third novel it would be good to stay with the main characters for a bit longer. Larsson is someone with such a good writing style, for example the passage in the court room; we already know all the details of the story, but he makes it interesting for us to read again. And someone with such a good eye for detail, should have written more books than only these three. 

As I said before, there is not much I can write about detective novels, so I'll skip most of the book talk and start reading the book for the next week. I'm quite impressed with myself that I've been keeping this project up for at least seven weeks now. To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment