Thursday 4 February 2021

Book Review: Sarah Pearse - The Sanatorium (published in 2021)

 


If you're looking for a nice atmospheric thriller, you're looking at the right book. Spring is just around the corner, but many of us might still crave the desolateness of winter. I certainly do, when it comes to books (in terms of real life, I'm ready to welcome summer with open arms). 

The Sanatorium takes place in a hotel in Switzerland. Elin's brother Isaac is hosting his engagement party here. Even though they haven't spoken for a long time, she decides to attend because her and her brother have unfinished business. She's still struggling with the questions she had regarding their younger brother's death years ago. 

It all goes downhill from there. A big storm forces the funiculars to close, and the hotel is closed off from the outside. When people start disappearing, Elin can't ignore her duty as a former police officer in the UK and she decides to investigate. 

This novel is incredibly grim. It gave me real slasher vibes, rather than thriller vibes which I actually enjoyed. I really couldn't have guessed the conclusion, even though I tried (and failed) many times. The plot twists were rather good. Unfortunately, we follow the story through the eyes of Elin who isn't the most stable of narrators. 

It's actually the part I didn't really enjoy about the novel. Elin has a lot of demons to fight while also chasing the killer on the loose. The setting and main plot is suspenseful enough, I didn't really need Elin's interior doubts and insecurities. This is a personal preference though. 

I really enjoyed this read and I was completely enthralled by it. The ending left me with a few question marks though, I'm not sure I'm all to happy about that, but at least I'm still thinking about the book after putting it down. 

3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment