Tuesday 5 June 2012

59. Suzanne Collins - Mockingjay


For the first time I made the connection. What The Hunger Games is really about. Obviously I read the third part of the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins this week, Mockingjay. What I found out, is that it is really a copy of the Roman Empire. And I found that out through this passage: 
"Panem et Circenses translates into Bread and Circuses. The writer was saying that in return for full bellies and entertainment, his people had given up their political responsibilities and therefore their power." (Collins 261)
I hadn't made that link before. Strangely enough, since I had Latin for about six years in high school. The Hunger Games resemble the Colosseum games so much, that I'm almost embarrassed I didn't recognise this before.

Again, I won't say much about this story but it's worth reading if you like reading; otherwise, do yourself a favour and wait for the films. It's not much more than the Twilight story, apart from the fact that it's more bloody maybe. A nice story to read in the summer months, but nothing more


No comments:

Post a Comment