Thursday 14 January 2021

Book Review: Helen Fields - The Shadow Man (published in 2021)

 


How is it that I have read two books that take place in Edinburgh this year out of the three books I've read? I think 2021 is telling me it's time to return to my favourite city in the world. If you love the city, you will find yourself sneaking through the little closes and wynds along with the main characters of this thrilling novel. 

 

Edinburgh features in this book as a full-fledged character and I love that. 

 

The plot outline sounded dark and mysterious to me, and I'm happy to report that that's the vibe that the novel serves. The story itself is a bit different from the outline, but not in a bad way. 

 

The story is about a man who lives in the shadows and kidnaps people from the streets of Edinburgh. We follow a police officer and a forensic psychologist as they try to uncover the mysteries surrounding this case. 

 

We also follow the victims & the perpetrator, which in my opinion takes away from the suspense a little bit because we as the reader as basically omniscient. Fields does manage to slip some surprises in. 

 

I didn't like the psychologist, however she was true to herself. It did bring forth a couple of great dialogues that I wouldn't have wanted to miss. 

 

I think some of the scenes of this novel will stick with me for a long time to come. Let's just say it's not for the faint of heart. The fact that you're propelled into the narrative of the victims at time is not an easy read. 

 

I recommend this read if you're into dark thrillers, it's not much of a mystery but it's still a pretty wild ride. 

 

Many thanks to Avon and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!


3.5 stars


Statistics:

Date read: January 14, 2020

Date published: February 4, 2020

Publisher: Avon

Format: eBook

Pages: 400

Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Horror

My Number of Books Read by this Author: 1

Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment