Tuesday 5 January 2021

Book Review: Craig Russell - Hyde (published in 2021)

 


Yes yes yes to this fantastic book! I had no idea what I was in for when I started the read, but it plunged me headfirst into my favourite city in the world. I was sold on the concept that Hyde is the main character of this book (there's no Jekyll mind you), but when my city was described in detail including all the little alleyways I could not stop dreaming about it. 

I could picture exactly where all the action takes place. Edinburgh is a perfect setting for a Victorian Horror novel. If you haven't visited, check out photos at least to take in the vibe a little bit. 

Right, the story is about Hyde, a police officer. He has to investigate the murder of a man which seems to point to some ritualistic offering. As the body count grows, so does Hyde's sense of reality. Even though Jekyll is not present in this book, Hyde does blank out and someone else takes over. What is this someone else capable of though? 

I thought the concept was incredibly clever. I mentioned before I really enjoyed the setting, and I like the general atmosphere of the novel. I didn't know Craig Russell, but I'll check out The Devil Aspect, which has received a lot of praise previously. 

If you like atmospheric horror novels, that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Check this novel out!

Many thanks to the publisher Little, Brown Book Group UK and Netgalley for the review copy!

4 stars

Statistics:

Date read: January 5, 2020

Date published: February 4, 2020

Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group UK

Format: eBook

Pages: 400

Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Horror

My Number of Books Read by this Author: 1

Goodreads

 

No comments:

Post a Comment