Wednesday 10 October 2012

70. Tan Twan Eng - The Garden of Evening Mists


I have gotten a bit lost in trying to watch all the James Bond's ever made on On Demand. I'm at the fifth film, but due to this I am late finishing this amazing book by Tan Twan Eng. The Garden of Evening Mists is very enticingly written. It's unlike anything I have ever read before and therefore it's very educational.

This book was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2012 and I can see why. It tells the story of judge Yun Ling Teoh, who was a Japanese prisoner during World War II and later served as an apprentice of a Japanese gardener Nakamura Aritomo. She struggles between fulfilling the promise she made her sister, who died in this same prisoner's camp where she was held, of making a real Japanese garden and trying to get over her survivor guilt.

It's late, because I read two thirds of the book this evening so I'm not going to write any more. Also my words would not be able to do this book any justice. Hopefully, the Man Booker Prize will do that for me (please note that I'm saying this without having read the other books, so this remark is not all final).

No comments:

Post a Comment