Tuesday 24 July 2012

65. E.L. James - Fifty Shades of Grey


This week's book had a big effect on me. I was surprised I wasn't as disgusted by reading E.L. James' much talked about novel Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn't think I would be disgusted because of the BDSM and erotic scenes that occur every three pages. I thought the literature graduate in me would be disgusted with how simple and silly this most famous book of this year is.

Which it is; there's almost no plot and no interesting storyline,but it didn't disgust me. I was enthralled actually. I switched the literary part in me off and ignored all the: "Oh My"'s and "Holy shit"'s that are uttered way too often. Even the silly sentences that don't make sense at all, but are just used to 'arouse' readers, were completely ignored by me: "I want to brush my teeth. I eye Christian's toothbrush. It would be like having him in my mouth. Hmm..." (James 76). I switched the girl in me on. The shy sixteen-year-old girl I used to be. The girl that dreamt about this man in this book (mind you, I'm not talking about the S&M part!). It doesn't help that Ana studied English Literature as well and wants to work at a publisher's.

Christian Grey is really similar to Heathcliff:
"She distracted me from the destructive path I found myself following. It's very hard to grow up in a perfect family when you're not perfect." (James 432)
Grey was adopted, because his mother who was on crack died when he was four. Christian Grey is a Byronic hero, and I like Byronic heroes. I think they are what most women seek in literature and, if I may be so bold, in life. Think about it; Vampires are the most popular creatures in literature at the moment and they are everything a Byronic hero stands for: broody, difficult, but when you get them it's all so rewarding, because behind all this darkness is a wonderful, loyal, albeit a bit obsessive, man.
"We're coming near the end of the bridge, and the road is once more bathed in the neon light of the street lams so his face is intermittently in the light and the dark. And it's such a fitting metaphor. This man, whom I once thought of as a romantic hero, a brave shining white knight - or the dark knight, as he said. He's not a hero; he's a man with serious, deep emotional flaws, and he's dragging me into the dark. Can I not guide him into the light?" (James 355)
The exact reason why women flock towards this book is easy to say though:
"'Anastasia, I'm not a hearts and flowers kind of man... I don't do romance. My tastes are very singular. You should steer clear of me.' He closes his eyes as if in defeat. 'There's something about you, though, and I'm finding it impossible to stay away. But I think you've figured that out already.'" (James 72)
I will try to go into more detail about Byronic men; the reason this book became so popular as it did, but for now this is it. I can't allow myself to be distracted for too long, because I need to start reading the second part.

No comments:

Post a Comment