Sunday 20 May 2012

57. Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games


I've had a very exciting weekend, because my Scottish football team Heart of Midlothian has won the Scottish Cup on Saturday. I managed to get a ticket, because my boyfriend knows one of the star players Rudi Skacel. Needless, to say I had an amazing weekend. 

Now to the book I read this week, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's a bit lame reading a book right after it has become famous because of a film, especially when you read it after you have seen the film. I must say, however, that it was a good read nevertheless and even though I remember every part of the story; the film was so similar to the story, that I can't laud the film maker enough for making it so. 

For those who don't know The Hunger Games yet, it's basically the American answer to the gruesome Japense novel and film Battle Royale, where whole school classes are shipped off to an island where they have to kill each other. The American version is a bit more subdued, because here it's only 12 districts that compete and every district brings forth a very unwilling girl and boy to fight. There can only be one victor.

In the first book Katniss and Peeta are picked from District 12 to fight for survival. It's a very powerful story and if you haven't seen the film yet, the book will keep you on the edge of the seat. I would not call this the Twilight version of Battle Royale as some people do, because it's not as sappy as Twilight is in the slightest and the body count is immense. I can't wait to start reading the second book now though, because I don't know what's going to happen there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment