Monday 9 April 2012

51. Hubert van den Bergh - How to Sound Clever: Master the 600 English Words You Pretend to Understand...When You Don't


This week I have been naughty and I haven't actually read a book. I've just browsed through one. Author Hubert van den Bergh has a very Dutch name; nevertheless he wrote the book called:  How to Sound Clever: Master the 600 English Words You Pretend to Understand...When You Don't.

It's a clever concept, but it won't have all the words that you might be looking for in it. His spiel is that he has written down all the words you frequently see in newspapers, which you don't really understand but you just skip over it thinking that you do. The entries in this book are meant to clear those words up.

I have to see a lot of the words I would skip over in newspapers as well, but it's good to see what they mean. For example: glib, garrulous, dissipate. Surely, I've learnt all these words in uni, but I have forgotten the meaning and it's good to have a little book in the house where you can quickly look it up. Although dictionaries have become antediluvian now that we have the internet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment