Sunday 8 January 2012

38. Dave Gorman - Googlewhack Adventure


I actually bought Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure after I saw him live at the Edinburgh Festival in 2011. Slightly overpriced, but Dave himself signed it for me. It was the first time I saw him live and this is the first time I've read one of his books. I like both. 

Googlewhack Adventure is about Dave's quest to create a chain of Googlewhacks. A Googlewhack is two words put together that generate only one hit in Google. This cannot be a link to a dictionary website, apart from that everything's possible. He then goes out to meet the person who created this website and asks him to find him two more Googlewhacks, then he goes out to meet those people. He wants to create a chain of 10 consecutive Whacks before his 32 birthday, which basically means within 3 months from the start of the novel. 

I don't think Googlewhacking is the most interesting concept, it does however result in a fun book. This is probably because Dave is such a energetic storyteller. His narrative never slows down and he plunges the reader from into an adventure that never stands still. Honestly, I don't think it's true though. I find it too convenient that he keeps meeting these Googlewhacks in these different chains. Of course, he gets into trouble in one point and a woman gives him a clever consultation, but even that I find too convenient. But then maybe that's the point of the story... Maybe Google really does bring the world closer together by creating a network of close links. 

No comments:

Post a Comment