Tuesday 3 January 2012

37. Ian Rankin - The Black Book


It's been almost half a year since I've read one of Ian Rankin's books, so it was about time to read his fifth Rebus book called The Black Book. Rankin has not yet disappointed me and he definitely hasn't this time around either. Even though the plot for The Black Book is slightly more intricate, Detective Rebus remains an interesting character to say the least.

This novel kind of follows in the footsteps of Rankin's fourth book Strip Jack, with political and highly criminal intrigue. It's hard for me to quickly explain exactly what The Black Book is about, but if I would sum it up in one sentence I would say it's about a mafia type man in Edinburgh, Big Ger who wants and has control over most of the criminals in Edinburgh. Rebus together with Holmes and a new character Siobhan Clarke "are drawn into a case involving a hotel fire, an unidentified body, and a long forgotten night of terror and murder".

Rankin does not speak about Rebus' love for books in this novel at all, instead he focuses his intention on Rebus' hatred for Hibs, which is a fact that couldn't possibly please me more, since I'm a Hearts fan. I can't withhold this one beautiful quotation:
"I keep forgetting, there's always someone in the world worse off than yourself... Unless you're a Hibs supporter." (Rankin 93)

No comments:

Post a Comment