Sunday 20 November 2011

31. Roald Dahl - The Twits


Another Roald Dahl classic this week. The Twits reminded me more of Roald Dahl's style than any of his other books I've read so far. The descriptions he gives of Mr. and Mrs. Twit are absolutely revolting and the things they do to each other, such as feeding each other worms and putting a glass eye in each other's beer, are unbearably disgusting.

This to me, however, is what made Dahl famous. The ending is so disconcerting, yet he is a famous children book writer. Children adore his books, but I can't help thinking about how The Twits shrunk into themselves. That most have been such a painful experience and such a slow and tormenting process. I felt the same way about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well, although I haven't read it yet. Children must be so good at distancing themselves from the story that they find these events funny, but I find it appalling. I can imagine that his books make good grown up horror films though, why as no one picked that up yet? Maybe I should....  

No comments:

Post a Comment