Sunday 13 November 2011

30. Laura Hillenbrand - Seabiscuit: The True Story of Three Men and One Racehorse


"Somewhere in the high country that once was Ridgewood, the tree lives on, watching over the bones of Howard's beloved Seabiscuit." (Hillenbrand 399)
Throughout Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit tears were streaming down my face. I never thought horse racing interested me so much. I never really came across it anyway, apart from the time I put bets on in the Grand National. This book taught me a lot about the technical side of the sports though and a lot about the passion that accompanies it.

It may sound a bit sappy and the book really isn't that emotional, but I just can't help myself when I read a book about animals. And this one is really well-written. Hillenbrand seems to know exactly how to describe a race to make sure no one can put the book down. You probably know the story about Seabiscuit. A horse no one wanted because he seemed to be lame, until he was under the care of trainer Smith and owner Howard. He turned into an American sensation, especially with Red Pollard in the saddle. It's impossible to understand how these two went through so many injuries, yet ending up legends in American horse racing.

I don't think anyone can say anything bad about this story. Please read the book though. I know most of you have watched the film with Tobey Maguire in 2003, it's still worth reading Hillenbrand's version of the story. Please do because I think everyone will be moved by this incredible tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment