Sunday 30 October 2011

28. Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers


I am completely and utterly ashamed that it took me about three weeks to finish Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers. I don't know what has befallen me, but not studying has not done me any good. I used to read Classic after Classic, and now I struggle to understand sentences written by Dumas. I shudder to think what will happen when I pick up another James Joyce novel one day. That is exactly why I'm doing this challenge though. I need to keep reading!

The reason I picked up this novel is not only because a new film came out, but also because I wanted to read a book by Dumas for a long time now. However, I don't think The Three Musketeers was the best first choice, as it doesn't interest me as much as I thought it would after watching all those TV series and films about it. I always thought it was about an evil cardinal who does everything to prevent the Musketeers from succeeding in any mission given to them by the king. It may be so in the television series and films dedicated to this book, but not in the original story. 

I am not completely mistaken though in remembering that D'Artagnan is not actually a Musketeer at the beginning of the book. He would like to join them though and that is how he becomes acquainted with "the three musketeers" Athos, Porthos and Aramis. 

This story is not, however, entirely about the adventures of our friends. It's mostly about the story of one of the Cardinal's devilish followers known as Milady. Most of the last 150 pages of the book are devoted to her fiendish plots. And I'm not exaggerating when I say that she is really one of the most heartless female killers in older literature.

For me to start describing the plot in detail would be too strenuous and I need to start reading the next book. So I am going to leave you with these wise words, which is the thing about this novel that will linger in the collective memory for a longest amount of time: "All for one - one for all." (Dumas 84)   

No comments:

Post a Comment