Sunday 23 October 2011

27. Roald Dahl - The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me


And another Roald Dahl book and to be honest I'm starting to really appreciate his writing style. This time I read The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me. Before this I thought the way he made up words was annoying, now I actually think it is quite cute. In this book he gives a whole list of candy that doesn't exist in real life but the way he says we all know it, is really nice. 

This book is about a window cleaning company consisting of a pelican, a giraffe and a monkey. They clean windows without a ladder and they can reach every window because giraffe has an extendible neck. The monkey cleans, and the pelican is the bucket. 

This book has a really cute ending. Maybe I'm just in a sentimental mood because I can't seem to finish The Three Musketeers, but I really like it:
We have tears in our eyes
As we wave our goodbyes,
We so loved being with you, we three.
So do please now and then
Come and see us again,
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.
All you do is to look
At a page in this book
Because that's where we always will be.
No book ever ends
When it's full of your friends
The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.  (Dahl 73)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment