Sunday 7 August 2011

16. Carlos Ruiz Zafón - The Shadow of the Wind


Most people I know are already familiar with this this book by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I, myself, have read it before when it was just translated in 2004. The Shadow of the Wind is one of those books that literally take your breath away and reading the last line gave me goosebumps. 
Soon afterward, like figures made of steam, farther and son disappear into the crowd of the Ramblas, their steps lost forever in the shadow of the wind. (Zafón 487)
The reason I'm rereading it is because of The Angel's Game which has been waiting in my book case since October 2010. This is the prequel to the book I've devoured for this week. It is said that Zafón is planning to make this a four book series. And I fervently hope he will do so.


As I said before, I'm not a fan of translated works, but for Lucia Graves I'd gladly make an exception. She's the daughter of poet Robert Graves and she is an amazing translator. The way she uses words and plays with expressions in the novel is really exceptional and I believe it's a shame she has only translated two books, which are the two books I mentioned earlier in this blog.


The Shadow of the Wind is about a bookseller who takes his young son to a secret library which is full of abandoned books - The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Young Daniel may choose one book which he has to keep with him for the rest of his life. The book he chooses is the book that will not only stay with him for the rest of his life it will set the tone for it as well. Daniel is completely enthralled by the unknown writer, whose book he has randomly picks, called Julian Carax. The rest of his life he will be chasing the story behind this obscure author who has lived a life not dissimilar to Daniel's only then with more intrigue and betrayal. While Daniel is on a mission to find out more of Carax' life, a maimed figure is lurking in the darkness waiting for his chance to get a hold of  this mysterious book.


The language that is used is fantastic and poetic. Reading it is a trait! I don't often reread books (apart from Wuthering Heights) but it was a pleasure to do so this time and I hope The Angel's Game won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment