Friday 15 July 2022

Book Review: Lesley Kara - The Apartment Upstairs (published in 2022)

 I read THE DARE by KARA last year and I liked it a bit more than THE APARTMENT UPSTAIRS as this novel is called in the UK. The ending was a bit more satisfying, whereas it left me unimpressed this time around.

We're following Scarlett and Dee. Scarlett's aunt was murdered in the apartment upstairs in a murder-suicide by her boyfriend. Dee has a funeral service together with her best friend, so they get hired to arrange Scarlett's aunt's funeral. However, Dee and her friend know the aunt. She was a substitute teacher and for some reason she might even have a bit more of a connection with their friend Gina who has disappeared ten years ago.

Slowly the plot unfolds, which is fun. Kara's writing is really relaxed and enjoyable. I was never bored and I got the feeling that I got to know the whole cast of characters well, which is why when the ending kicked in I couldn't really believe what I read anymore. There were a bit too many coincidences at the end.

It was still an OK read for me, so I will definitely check out more books by this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment