Monday 4 October 2021

Book Review: Gabriela Garcia - Of Women and Salt (published in 2021)

 


I enjoyed my time with this short story collection by GABRIELA GARCIA. I like it when all stories intertwine and kind of come together by the end. 

The author has given every single woman their own distinct voice, which makes the read surprising and refreshing throughout. We start in the Cuba in the past, in a cigar factory, which I think is immediately my favourite story because it brings back memories of my trip to the country. Then we move from Cuba to present-day USA and we skip backwards and forwards in time and through different countries. 

The subject matter is hard-hitting because it deals with migration and displaced families, but because it's all done from the point-of-view of the women living through it it never becomes overtly dramatic. 

The audiobook narrator has done a good job giving all the women their voices. 

Many thanks to the publisher Picador and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!

3.5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment