Tuesday 8 June 2021

Book Review: Taylor Adams - Hairpin Bridge (published in 2021)


 There are certain authors whose books I look forward to every year. Taylor Adams (maybe strangely for people who are not familiar with his writing is one of them). I fell in love with <b>No Exit</b> two years ago and his release this year is almost equally thrilling and captivating. 

<b>Hairpin Bridge</b> is about Lena Nguyen who is investigating her sister's alleged suicide on the titular bridge. She thinks there was foul play and she invites Corporal Raymond Raycevic who found her sister to tell her more about it on the isolated location. 

What follows is a thrilling and quite suspenseful (for Taylor Adams' standard) back-and-forth between the two characters. <b>No Exit</b> did not tone done the action, and neither does <b>Hairpin Bridge</b>. The action is non-stop. I love reading his novels, but I would love to see them on the big screen as well. 

There are elements to the story I didn't find necessary. First of all, the blog posts and other media may have been limited but it took away from the action. Secondly, it may have been a little bit longer than necessary. I would rate this book 4.5 stars, but looking at all other books I read this year I rounded it up to 5 stars. 

What I loved about his writing is mainly the knowledge he pours into the pages when he's describing a scene. It's so visceral it's almost like you're there and he's teaching you things about the attributes and tactics. It reminds me a little bit of how <b>Lee Child</b> writes. I've already mentioned the action-packed scenes. I liked the conversations between the main characters. The dynamics are insane and I was on the edge of my seat to find out what would happen next. The fact that it once again takes place on an isolated location is a big plus. 

Taylor Adams' latest release is a real ride and I can't wait to see what he comes out with next!

Many thanks to the publisher Joffe Books and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!

5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment