Wednesday 7 April 2021

Book Review: Aimee Molloy - Goodnight Beautiful (published in 2020)

 


There's something about Aimee Molloy's writing that pulls me in. Her debut novel The Perfect Mother is about a subject that does not appeal to me in the slightest. Yet, I found the story to be incredibly enjoyable, though not thrilling enough to label it a thriller. 

I did really feel the thrill in her latest novel. Again, there are elements to this book that don't appeal to me. I don't like the main character for example, because I don't like protagonists who lie and deceive. However, overall this book is a wild ride with so many real surprises, it's crazy. 

Goodnight Beautiful is about newlyweds Sam and Annie who move from the big city to Sam's old hometown in upstate New York. Sam is a therapist. What he doesn't know is that his conversations with clients can be heard from the room above. This is all fine, until a French girl shows up in his office and Sam disappears. 

As I said, there are so many elements that surprised me in this novel. They're not necessarily shockers, but some of them are. Molloy seems to understand where the readers' minds are going and she tries her best to put us off track every now and then. I like that. 

There are time I dislike what is happening or how it is happening, but it takes a good writer to still give me the feeling of a thrill when events are unfolding. 

I can't wait to see what novel Molloy comes up with next, because I'm here for it. 

Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy!

4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment