Wednesday 10 March 2021

Book Review: Alex Finlay - Every Last Fear (published in 2021)

 


Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay started with a bang, and the story kept me invested the whole time. 

There are few novels where the premise and the start of the novel pull me in that I really want to know the ending badly. Most of the time, I just read a story as it was written without really guessing or waiting for the answer. I found myself reading, just to experience the thrill of the plot twists and the big reveal. 

That is not to say that the book isn't well-written. Alex Finlay has done their (I don't know if we know whether their a female or male author) best to create enticing characters and the different point-of-views through which the story is told (I think there are five or six in total) really works well and adds to the horror of it all. 

Normally I start my review with the plot, but I couldn't contain myself. OK, this story is about the tragic Pine family. Father, mother, son and daughter are found dead in Mexico. Their son Matt, who attends NYU, is notified of this fact. The media attention and news coverage that follows is not new to Matt. Several years before his brother Danny was incarcerated with questionable evidence and an interrogation technique that would make the police officers in Making a Murderer proud. 

Matt's father and sister never really seized to investigate the matter as they fully believed Danny did not kill his girlfriend that night. 

We follow Matt's father, his sister, his mother, the FBI agent who is on the case and Matt himself. As I said it provides nice threads in the main story and mystery. The reveals are quite shocking and I almost never saw the plot twists coming. 

I really enjoyed this read. The only reason I deducted .5 stars is because I felt the ending was a bit rushed. I didn't necessarily want it to end, so it took me by surprise when it did. There is more I would love to learn about the characters.

Many thanks to the publisher Head of Zeus and Netgalley for providing me with a review copy! 

4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment