Wednesday 18 November 2020

Book Review: Wendy Webb - The Haunting of Brynn Wilder (published in 2020)

 


Oops, this is what you get when you read a book based on the cover and title. My expectations and what the book served were completely out of sync!

 

This novel is about Brynn Wilder who makes her way to Wharton to stay in a B&B for the summer. She has recently lost her mum due to the cancer and she needs to escape her normal life for a while. In Wharton she meets a lot of different people, including Dominic and Alice. He is her broody and handsome next door neighbour and she is the ex-wife of another resident who suffers from early-onset Alzheimers. However, she also seems to know more about Brynn than Brynn would have expected. 

 

I started reading this book believing it would pan out to be a suspenseful gothic horror novel. I actually really liked the characters. Their banter is so genuine I found myself laughing out loud a few times. A suspenseful horror novel it is not though. At the last 80% of the book I started wondering what it was the novel was actually working towards. The finale brings a bang, but one I had expected. 

 

This novel reminds me of something Nicholas Sparks could have written. The setting at Wharton and Lake Superior sounds magnificent. The characters are all incredibly likeable and well-developed. The plot is a slow burn and everything gears towards a tragic and romantic ending. 

 

I'm giving this book 2.5 stars not because I didn't enjoy it. It's because I feel it's out of sync with what it's advertised to be. If you can go into it wanting a paranormal romance, you'll enjoy your experience much more than I did. 


2.5 stars


Statistics:

Date read: November 18, 2020

Date published: November 1, 2020

Publisher: Lake Union Publishing

Format: eBook

Pages: 272

Genre: Paranormal

My Number of Books Read by this Author: 1

Goodreads

 


No comments:

Post a Comment