Sunday 9 December 2012

78. Ferdinand von Schirach - Der Fall Collini ("The Collini Case")


One week behind but as always, better late than never and I'll try to make up for this lost week another time. For the first time during this challenge I read a German book; Ferdinand von Schirach's Der Fall Collini. German should be really easy for me to read as it's my second language. It wasn't. I have neglected it for so long, that I could hardly understand big parts of this novel. Nevertheless, it was a very good read and I would certainly recommend it, maybe read the English version if that's easier.

The concept of the novel is quite easy to explain, a lawyer receives his first ever case. A seemingly impossible one for him to win. An old man has been murdered in his hotel room and there is no doubt that Fabrizio Collini has murdered him and he even admits to it. He just doesn't want to speak about the motif. Then the case comes to court and the lawyer finds out it's even more difficult than he imagined as he knew the old man that was murdered... 

An interesting novel that touches upon a very heavy subject in German law, but to find this out you'd need to read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment