Tuesday 27 March 2012

49. Gabriel García Márquez - Leaf Storm


Let's ignore the fact that I'm a few days late writing this blog. This week I've read another one of Gabriel García Márquez' books, this time Leaf Storm and I have to say that I think this book is very comparable to No One Writes to the Colonel in that it is just as bad.

After reading it, and it is only a short book, I cannot tell you what it is about. I can give it a try though. It starts with three people who bury a man; a grandfather, his daughter and her child. We change narrative about every page and we get pieces of the dead man's (a doctor) history. He arrived into a quiet town with a banana company, which turns the whole town upside down. After the company leaves, however, it takes the whole character and life out of the city and out of the man. The grandfather seems to want to fulfil a promise he made to the doctor and he is set on burying him, however the rest of the town detests the doctor.

I don't really understand why all this happens. And what I found especially odd was that sometimes the narrative echoes itself. In about six sentences Márquez uses the same phrase a character has said, as if he had never written that before. There are a lot of reasons why I don't like this book, but it's not necessary to get into further detail. Let's just forgive and forget, because at the moment Márquez has written more good novels than bad ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment