Sunday 26 February 2012

45. Ian Rankin - Mortal Causes


Mwoah... Ian Rankin seems to be moving further and further away from interesting crime novels to political and religious intrigue. The last two books I read by him were mostly about politics and Mortal Causes is mostly about the Catholics versus the Protestants. 

To be honest I would find it hard to explain the plot, because I lost the plot a couple of times throughout the book, especially when Rankin started speaking only in acronyms regarding the Northern Irish cause and the Scottish resistance. Instead, I'll give you a quote which I like because it says something about the area I want to get a flat in (doesn't it sound appealing?):
"Morningside wasn't exclusive as the way Grange was. There were students in Morningside, living at the top of roadside tenements, and people on the dole. In rented flats housing too many bodies, keeping the rent down. But when you thought Morningside you thought of old ladies and that peculiar pronunciation they had (...) They said Morningside people thought sex was what the coal came in." (Rankin 175)

No comments:

Post a Comment