Sunday 9 October 2011

25. Gabriel García Márquez - No One Writes to the Colonel


Gabriel García Márquez' book I don't understand at all. I'm aware that this is not the best way to start a blog, but it has to be said. No One Writes to the Colonel is a really short novel, with I believe a deeper message, but I can't find it. I don't know if I've been reading it half-heartedly or whether the story is just not that interesting but I didn't get into it at all.

It's about a colonel who is waiting for a letter every Friday by the docks and also about the colonel's rooster. I understand more of this story when I read the back of the cover where it says that the colonel, who together with his wife, is really poor, has been waiting for 15 years for a letter about the Army pension, which he hasn't received yet.

I did not get that from the story to be honest. It's probably a really beautiful book, but my heart wasn't in it. Next week I hope I can write a more passionate story because I notice that the last few weeks my love to read is slowly diminishing. I will not let this little reader's block get me down though, so I will carry on reading just like I have done for 25 weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment